About Me

My photo
Radiant Cola True Freindship New Sine Wave Cafe, U.S. Outlying Islands

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sunshine Daydream















I am once again in the throes of nicotine withdrawal - for the second time this week. After a tobacco free weekend I was bumming Camels from my roommate a mere two hours after walking in the door. Rokit man called the other day to commiserate as he headed into Day 7 (where the bread is unleavened) and even though I had just finished printing a schmancy Things to do instead of Smoking Cigarettes diagram there were my feet walking into the convenience store, purchasing what I really hope was the last pack ever.

Well, I made it through yesterday. And naturally found myself with the knitting needles in hand. Two things have become abundantly clear: cleaning and knitting occur when I am not smoking cigarettes. Oh sure, I empty the odd ashtray out, especially when all the butts are "empty" from rolling my own late night emergencies. And I continue to browse through knitting and crocheting books, magazines and web sites without crafting a single stitch.

But when I'm tobacco free! Tobacco free and pulling out the Fantastik, scouring the fingerprints from the bathroom door to sit on a bleach encrusted toilet seat and admire my handiwork. Tobacco free and the kitchen sink winks at me - oh my that's not the sink, that's my reflection!Tobacco free and the smell of my man's Newport's mingled with my roomies Camels is enough to drive me behind the bedroom door to wallow in the rich scent of clean oxygfen.

Meanwhile in Arizona my beloved cousin Raymond is suffering. Suffering from second stage lung cancer that has metastasized to his liver. The chemotherapy has affected his brain. He has suffered from two brain aneurysms and surgeries in the past five days. He has recovered each time. The tube in his nose puts him at high risk for pneumonia. And still they must feed the tumors more chemo because it's all they can do. No surgery. No radiation.

Beloved Raymond --- who never smoked a cigarette in his 34 years.


4 comments:

Alan Kaula said...

I was going to say that it was not fair that non-smokers have to suffer too but stopped myself. I don't think anyone should suffer AT ALL from this dreaded disease or any other disease for that matter. But life's not fair. We know that for sure.

On a lighter note: Nice Photoshop Job!

chartreuse velour said...

i'm on day thirteen of re-quitting. i've found that the trick is not to get drunk or altered in any other way for at least 2 months.

go rekha!

Anonymous said...

I've got sunshine.....
on a cloudy day......

You can do it, Rekha. Remember that picture of smoked lungs Dr. Hynd had? That helped me not to start (well, except for those Gudang Garam things...but I never inhaled). Everyone's her own worst Kretek.

Wow, that was bad.

Miss you babe.

Ali-baba.

Alan Kaula said...

how is raymond doing? I f%$king hate this disease. I would stand in front of a sh!tty new delhi bus right now if it would bring back Katie and cure raymond right NOW!!!

....there I go again, exhibiting some kind of "stages of grief"....

F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!F&*K!