About Me

My photo
Radiant Cola True Freindship New Sine Wave Cafe, U.S. Outlying Islands

Monday, December 18, 2006

Day 1: So Much Fun!










CHOOSE

OK, tell me why it's more frightening for me to declare today DAY ONE SMOKE FREE than it is to blog about my mental health?

Because upstairs you know Claude has a crisp new packet of Marlboros and at any moment you could be on the back deck flicking ash into an old tomato sauce can.

Everyone is talking about this book by Alan Carr and how it may help me to quit. Frankly I was always partial to B. Jack Gephardts The Enlightened Smokers Guide To Quitting. At the end of the day it has seemed to make more sense to just stop outright, grit my teeth and hang on for dear life as the hell of withdrawal sets in. It's difficult living with two smokers - and one of them is your lover. He says he'll quit for Christmas. I wanna force him on this journey with me, but I know know know that's not even the point.

In a life full of mistakes I have but one regret: smoking cigarettes.

So today I will try and remember that it's no fun to walk around feeling half poisoned all the time. Worrying about diaper breath, acrid smelling clothes and furry, smoked out teeth, the sludge that is my blood. Not even one puff is my rallying cry. Fresh vocal chords await!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Millions and millions have arrested their dependency while living with those who haven't. Look at it this way. You'll extinguish all your triggers associated with being around other smokers sooner than most.

Allen's book is excellent for helping destroy most denial rationalizations and in getting us to realize that we're dealing with a true chemical dependency. If you have not read Joel Spitzer's book, it's free and available at www.WhyQuit.com.

This guy has developed some rather amazing insights regarding associations between nicotine and eating, anger, caffeine, alcohol, and stress. In fact, he was teaching clinics full time while Allen was still a smoker. He has also recorded about 50 free quitting videos!

Baby steps, just one day at a time and then celebrate! In the end there's only one rule that if following guarantees success to all and if broken guarantees relapse ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff!

John