About Me

My photo
Radiant Cola True Freindship New Sine Wave Cafe, U.S. Outlying Islands

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Good to be here



"They're coming to cut our cable off, Mama" Mingus told me. It was a mercifully sunny Wednesday morning and I was waking up after an evening writing my first HTML/CSS codes which was very exciting (she's an uber geek! uber geek!). The knocking forced me to own the humiliation of the scene: I don't have the money to pay Comcast right now. Not at my current caloric intake.

I sat down at my desk and pretended not to watch the lime green lights of the cable modem. Mingus was bouncing around in the living room, watching outside of the far left window as the technician climbed the ladder to open the steel box that houses the building's fiber optics and began his search for our connection.

"It's going to be cut off right now." Mingus returned into my bedroom with a solemn realization that not only was the television gone, but now even his good luck forays into internet gaming were over until he moves to his Nani's next week.

Like that, the four lights blinked their last. We sighed. And sat. Five minutes later they returned, winking a furious "surf's up!" to computer addicted me!

We were overjoyed but quiet about it, scared that it was just a momentary cyber surge, about to end once the little man on the ladder discovered his error.

But, no. Walking into the living room, trying to be as nonchalant as we could, we saw his ladder still propped against the brick of our building. He was one of four men standing in a huddle in our front yard who soon carried the ladder back to a gray van, fixed it on the roof and drove off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you lucky bitch! they don't call you 'you know who' for nuttin..

yours faithfully,
handy